Primajaya: Brunei's FIRST Superhero Feature Film! - Review by Double H

If you know me very well then you damn well know that I am a huge sucker for superhero film. I love both Marvel and DC comics and I've pretty much enjoyed and watched every movie based on the two giant comic book publishers. Other than those two I've also enjoy watching non-Hollywood produced superhero film such as Bollywood's Krrish, Thailand's Mercury Man, Indonesia's Garuda Superhero from last year and Malaysia's Cicak Man.

When Bahlol was announced last year it got me really excited because it is going to be our first local superhero film, plus knowing that it is being made by Visual Dimensions, the people behind Break (YouTube series) and S.T.A.T gave me a really high hope and expectations for the film. I never get to watch the film during its premiere because I had to work on that day (Sucks, I know) but I had the chance to catch the film two days ago!

The film was originally called "Bahlol" but due to our local censorship they had to change the title to "Primajaya". It sounded funny at first, bunyinya mcm kadai runcit but it actually make sense because Primajaya is the name of the city where our hero lives in. Just like Gotham city to Batman. And it is actually a fictional, fifth district of Brunei! Clever. However they still get to use the name Bahlol for our hero and I am quite okay with that.

Primajaya ada feel macam Mark Millar's Kick-Ass sikit because both story features a street level superhero without any superpowers or any high tech gadgets and both of them are publicized on the Internet and by social media.

What I really enjoyed about Primajaya is the story is very well written. It has its humor, a lot of them. It has some serious moments, love story and it also shows our hero's struggle in his every day life. Primajaya is pretty much a comic book story coming to life. Kudos to Adam for writing such a brilliant story.

The most important factor of of every film is that the main character must be likeable. They must have a flaw that will be corrected by the end of the movie as part of their obligatory character arc. And Primajaya did just that. The film features two most likeable characters, our hero Bahlol and his best friend Fadil. These two characters are the most important people in the story and played major part in the storyline of Primajaya. I am not gonna spoil anything just go and watch the movie already!

A good movie would be incomplete without a good soundtrack because the soundtrack cues the audience as to their emotional reaction. Primaya punya soundtrack features local talents and the director himself pun contribute a song for the film.

All in all I quite enjoy this film and leaving the cinema wanting for more adventure from our very own local crime fighter/vigilante! Perhaps they could introduce more vigilante in the future that are inspired by the action of Bahlol, and more interesting villain please! XD

My Verdict: 9.5/10!

0 Comments: