PS3`s Copy Protection System: Cracked



A cracker, known as geohot announced via twitter, and his blog at http://geohotps3.blogspot.com that he had sucsessfully hacked the Sony PS3. He Posted:

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I’ve also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days…thats a pretty secure system
Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

As far as the exploit goes, I’m not revealing it yet. The theory isn’t really patchable, but they can make implementations much harder. Also, for obvious reasons I can’t post dumps. I’m hoping to find the decryption keys and post them, but they may be embedded in hardware. Hopefully keys are setup like the iPhone’s KBAG.


Source: Sankaku Complex

Good news? lol But even if they hacked the protection system, Blu-ray discs are still expensive!

0 Comments: